New year, new home? Ok, well maybe not a new home — but with a little effort, you can create a solid list of New Year’s resolutions for your home that will make your humble abode feel like new, or at least a little comfier. Read on to learn our top 10 New Year’s Resolutions every homeowner should make in 2018, and how the Sansone team can help.
1. Improve the Air Quality in Your Home
We spend much of our lives indoors, but few of us stop and think about the quality of the air inside of our homes. Unfortunately, while our homes may appear safe, indoor air pollution is a serious threat. In fact, the EPA reports that the air in the average home is around twice as polluted as the air outdoors. That’s because chemicals from household cleaners, candles, and miscellaneous products decrease air quality, but you can fight back in lots of ways.
Quick tips for improving indoor air quality
- Opt for all-natural products and avoid any household cleaners with harsh chemicals
- Ditch the air fresheners and candles with synthetic ingredients and diffuse essential oil instead
- Buy a houseplant or two
- Change your air filters each month
- Have your ductwork professionally cleaned
- Schedule AC maintenance for your HVAC system
2. Schedule a Maintenance Appointment for Your HVAC System
Your air conditioning and heating systems are the biggest influencers when it comes to the comfort of your home. But if your HVAC system isn’t operating at peak performance, you won’t be able to reap the benefits of your investment. Making sure your system is working efficiently is easy when you schedule a maintenance appointment with one of our experienced technicians.
Better yet, we offer the Sansone Energy Savings Club — the solution to all of your maintenance needs. We could talk all day about the benefits of joining, but here are some of the biggest perks:
- Decreased energy bills
- Extended equipment life
- Fewer repairs
- 15% off repairs
- Up to $50 per year of membership towards a new system
- Priority scheduling
3. Tend to Any Electrical Issues You’ve Been Putting Off.
Broken outlet? Exposed wiring? Flickering lights? Small electrical problems are easy to put off but can turn into bigger (and potentially hazardous) issues if left unaddressed. Resolve to fix electrical issues, big or small, this year.
4. Fix Leaky Faucets
Did you know Americans waste 1 trillion gallons of water each year thanks to leaking faucets? To put things in perspective, that’s enough water to:
- Equate to 9% of the total water needed to end the California drought
- Supply 40 million swimming pools
- Fill Lake Okeechobee
*Source: The Washington Post
If you’ve been putting off that seemingly small leak from any of your faucets, resolve to fix it in the coming weeks.
5. Have a Garbage Disposal Installed
Garbage disposals tout serious benefits. Besides being (arguably) one of the most convenient kitchen appliances, they lessen the amount of food that ends up in landfills. Better yet, garbage disposals promote less food waste overall, less water consumption, and reduce greenhouse gases. Bonus, they are easy to install and use.
6. Already Have a Garbage Disposal? Refresh It
While your garbage disposal may be your favorite kitchen gadget, it can put off a less-than-pleasant odor from time to time. If you avoid cleaning your garbage disposal, resolve to clean it once a month this year. Fortunately, cleaning your garbage disposal is easier than you think.
Here’s how you can clean your garbage disposal with citrus peels courtesy of the Huffington Post:
- Turn off your garbage disposal
- Remove nondisposable items that may be inside
- Fill disposal with 2 cups of ice and 1 cup rock salt
- Turn the disposal on and run cold water for 5 seconds
- Plug your sink and fill it with 2 – 4 inches of water, with the disposal on
- Run 4 – 6 lemon peels and cold water through the appliance
7. Streamline Your Stuff
One of the most inexpensive ways to feel better about your home is to declutter. Every year, we acquire more and more things, often times forgetting to let go of the items that no longer serve us any purpose. The result? Mountains of miscellany we just don’t need cluttering our homes. This year, resolve to go room-by-room and declutter each individual space. If you’re on the fence about whether or not you should get rid of something, ask yourself these questions:
- Do I use it?
- Does it add value to my life?
- Is the only thing keeping me from disposing of this item is that I don’t want to waste money?
- Do I have a similar item that serves the same purpose?
- Do I have a realistic plan to use this?
8. Install a Carbon Monoxide Detector
On top of improving your indoor air quality, resolve to test for harmful chemicals in your home this year. Radon, for example, is a colorless, odorless gas that causes nearly 21,000 lung cancer deaths annually in the United States. Carbon monoxide is another colorless, odorless gas that can be deadly when exposed to for an extended period of time. A carbon monoxide detector will cost you a mere $40 — a small price to pay for peace of mind and improved safety.
9. Check with Your Local HVAC Professionals for Specials
HVAC service is necessary to keep your system functioning efficiently. However, many homeowners put off scheduling HVAC service due to pricing. This year, resolve to check your local HVAC service provider for specials and deals on products and services. At Sansone, we always offer great specials for homeowners in the South Florida area — so be sure to check back frequently and don’t skimp on HVAC service!
10. Host More Get-Togethers
Life is busy, but don’t forget to carve out time for fun. Chances are, we could all benefit from a little more time with friends. In 2018, resolve to spend more time with friends at your home. Whether you invite a group over for cards or a dinner party, make your home a hub for great times!
Quality Electrical, Plumbing and HVAC Services in South Florida
If you’re ready to reach your resolutions for your home, Sansone is here to help. We offer quality electrical, plumbing and HVAC services to homeowners in South Florida and beyond. Contact us today to learn how we can help.
Broward: (954) 800-2858
Palm Beach: (561) 701-8274
St. Lucie: (772) 879-5656